Rather than having to enter telephone numbers of crew twice, once into crew-manager and once into my smartphone contact list, it would be really really great if crew-manager roster information appeared in my smartphone contacts list for both my crew, and I.
This would be the same functionality we get from outlook, gmail, whatsapp, skype, and other applications on our Android smartphones.
This would be useful, because I tend to create that double entry into my smartphone so that
(i) When a crew member calls me, their first/late name appears on the phone instead of a phone number. E.g. we know to answer the call, rather than think it might be a spammer.
(ii) When a crew member texts us, their name appears on our phone
(iii) When the crew are texting each other (outside an event), they can see each others names in the text.
(iv) when we call a crew member, we can speak their name to our phone, like we do our non crew-manager contacts.
I don't know if this is possible for apps that do not reside in our phones. If it does not exist, perhaps there are workarounds to add via the internet, e.g. add a contact to my gmail or outlook mailbox.
Would this approach work?
All logged in users now have the ability to download the crew roster as a single vCard file containing all the selected group contacts that may be imported to phone contacts. The Skipper and Administrators may download custom groups that may have been defined by the Skipper. The new feature was incorporated on all sites as of 1:00pm 30 October 2019. Below are directions on how to download the contacts.
- Using the device you desire to import the Crew Manager contacts, mouse over Crew on the menu and click on Roster - Enter login information if requested.
- Use the dropdown to select the desired Crew group to display, then click the blue Select Crew Group... button
- A blue button appears at the bottom of the lists labeled Download xxx.vcf - the xxx displays the name of the group selected. Click this button to download the file.
- The file is downloaded to your device. Depending on the type of device, follow vendor directions appropriate for the device to import the vCard file.
- roster-annotated.png (378.93 KiB) Viewed 3061 times