Twitter, Discord, or Msft Teams Integration

If you have a suggestion for a new feature or modification, please post in this forum.
dancorcoran

Twitter, Discord, or Msft Teams Integration

Post by dancorcoran »

Over the years I have suggested a Slack, Discord, Teams, WhatsApp, Signal, or other messaging service integration where, unlike with text messaging adding a new member to a thread leaves out that new member from seeing old messages, these other tools allow a new member to catch up. Also, its much easier to choose on your phone which messages won't cause a notification.

I think I have landed on these three Twitter, Discord, and Teams, of which the best choice would be based on available API's.

I expect if Twitter has everything needed than it should be selected just out of a reasonable expectation the fewest crew would object to installing it on their smartphones. The ideal integration would allow people to optionally receive messages as text or email if they choose not to receive information from Twitter.

(1) Ideally the application chosen allows for some kind of channel aligned with race and race series (e.g. wed night) to which they are as yes or maybe. Also, I would suggest allowing crew reservations to allow for "No, notify only" as an additional choice to yes, no, maybe

(2) While on a race, the user should be able to choose to jump to the app.

(3) The skipper should feel confident that people who just chose a race, can look back at all the notifications on the channel, to know whats up with logistics with the race.

(4) If the skipper changes details for a race, that should automatically create an entry in the app that an update has occured, with an link to jump back to crew manager to see the details. If a crew changes their availability, that should be broadcasted into the channel as well.

(5) The app should automatically create a channel as each race is added, and skipper should have the option to simply have a single channel for everything if they wish. Note each message going into the App would then need to include which race it is for.

Dan
admin
Site Admin

Re: Twitter, Discord, or Msft Teams Integration

Post by admin »

Dan,

We can discuss further when we're out on Block Island. I'll want you to show me these tools with specifics on user interface. I'd also like to get an assessment on how many people use them. Many people (including me) are unwilling to install other apps that duplicate existing functionality native to the devices they are using.

Let's discuss further the "Notify Only" option so I can understand the use case.

In the mean time as you know, it's a busy time of the year with all the regattas scheduled. Any work to implement this would occur after this season when the boat is hauled.
Crew Manager Administrator