More Updates for Covid 19 Canceled Events
Hello %firstname% %lastname%,
This email comes at a time when we are all impacted by the continued coronavirus pandemic and its effect on sailing and friends. In April I reported most of the spring season sailing events were cancelled into June. This has extended well into the summer for many areas. The Crew Manager master calendar is being updated as we learn about event cancellations. The number of cancellations prompted another feature request to surpress display of canceled events when the Skipper assigns Crew. Read on to learn more about the updates and new features added with incremental release version 2.9.2. The Crew and Skipper Manual documentation remains at version 2.9 with the new features described on the Crew Manager Support Forum until the next major update.
- Option to Suppress Reminders for Canceled Events: EC Helme of J/92s Spirit and Jason Black of the Baltic 52 Jules both requested the option to prevent having canceled event reminders sent to Crew. Skippers now have the ability to turn on / off canceled event reminders. There is now a “switch” that turns reminders for canceled events on or off, with no impact on all other reminders. The canceled reminders are now turned off by default.
The switch is available to the Skipper in the WordPress Admin section by mousing over Crew Manager on the left menu and clicking on Modify Settings. The picture below shows the annotated area where the canceled reminders may be set On or Off. Once the setting is made as desired, scroll down and click the blue Save All Changes button.
- Option to Hide Canceled Events on Skipper Assignment Pages: EC Helme of J/92s Spirit noted that the large number of canceled events impaired the ability to easily see events not canceled when assigning crew from the Skipper menu. When Crew Manager was developed, it was never anticipated that something like Covid 19 would occur resulting in most of the season being canceled. The requested feature has been incorporated. There is now a checkbox for the pages that open under Skipper menu items Edit Assignments by Crew and Edit Assignments by Event. The checkbox allows removing canceled events from the list displayed. The picture below is annotated to show the check box that allows removing canceled events from the displayed list.
- No bugs reported or fixed
Feature Requests Under Consideration
- Crew Pictures (Deferred): Dan Corcoran from J/109 Strider requested a feature for Crew Pictures Integrate with Smartphone. Dan & I discussed the various options available with photo sites, links, etc. and agreed to follow up further once he looks at various alternatives. I created a photo page on my J/109 Vento Solare site and post links to Google photos and Dropbox that crew members send.
- In App Messaging (Deferred): Dan Corcoran from J/109 Strider requested a feature for In App Messaging with Notifications & Positive Acknowledgement. He would like to know when someone reads a message initiated by Crew Manager. Dan & I discussed this and the complexity of the various messaging systems. Crew Manager uses standard email and SMS text messaging. I told Dan I would be willing to integrate an established messaging app he identified, provided they offered a defined API that could be interfaced with, but it was not intended that Crew Manager develop its own messaging program.
Crew Manager Documentation
Support documentation is always available on the Crew Manager Support Forum. Anyone may read the forum but you need to create a forum account to post. The forum is easily reached via the boat website menu where the following choices are provided.
- Documentation and FAQs – Crew & Skipper manuals and answers to frequently asked questions
- Crew Manager User Discussion and Questions – If you have a question or want to discuss something post it here.
- Report a Bug – If you find a problem report it here so it can be addressed.
- Request a Feature – We are open to suggestions, additions or changes to Crew Manager that will make it better for everyone!
Crew Manager LLC is a low budget operation with website hosting expenses and RI Small Business tax filing expenses. If you like it, please help recruit boats by forwarding this email to your friends. The Annual Subscription for New Sites and Annual Subscription Renewal options are the best deal. I hope you find Crew Manager as a useful means to organize your schedule and crew. If you have suggestions on how it can be made better, feel free to post on the Support Forum.