The Skipper is able to create, edit and delete both posts and calendar events with the default privileges granted. Comments may also be created, edited and deleted. The pages About and Photos under the Boat menu and the Links page may be edited as desired by the Skipper to replace with whatever content is desired. Other pages may not be created, edited or deleted with Skipper rights.
Want to Customize Your Site but Don’t Know How?
Scroll to the bottom and see the Customize Crew Manager Website Services section.
Administrative Access to WordPress
In order to customize the website, additional Administrative privileges will be granted to the Skipper or a person designated by the Skipper. There is no charge for this. Additional Administrative privileges are not granted by default because someone who does not know what they are doing can “break” the boat’s website. Additional privileges are required to create and edit pages, modify the menu, update sidebar widgets, change the header image, change colors and overall website layout.
A separate login account requiring a different email address from the Skipper email will be needed in order to setup this access. This is to make sure that inadvertent changes are not made to the site when the Skipper is logged in.
The boat website is built with WordPress using the Graphene theme and an associated child theme. WordPress is installed in a multisite configuration with each site as a subdomain. Plugins available to each site are installed on the main site and enabled over the network. This means that individual boat websites are restricted to use only those plugins installed and enabled over the network (e.g. individual users are unable to install additional plugins). This is to preclude incompatibilities and security risks. The following plugins are installed and enabled over the network for all sites:
- Akismet Anti-Spam
- All-in-One Event Calendar by Time.ly
- Crew Manager
- Import users from CSV with meta
- Tide Graph
- TinyMCE Advanced Editor
- User Role Editor
The installed plugins provide needed website functionality, or permit a convenient method to import data (e.g. Crew members).
The Graphene theme has been tailored and extensive testing done with Crew Manager to optimize the experience across various devices (PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android phone). Other themes are not allowed because specific Crew Manager functionality is built in the modified Graphene Child theme. Thus Crew Manager can not be be modified to use another theme. The Header image may be replaced with another image sized 1170px x 200px. The Email template header image is 650px x 123px. The All in One Event Calendar featured image is 510px x 285px (other sizes will be scaled).
Customizing Site Menu for Additional Pages
The pages About and Photos under the Boat menu and the Links page may be edited as desired by the Skipper to replace with whatever content is desired. Should the Skipper desire to add other pages the automatically generated site menu will need to be replaced by a manually generated menu. This option is available in the WordPress Admin screen to someone with Administrative rights by mousing over Appearance on the left menu and clicking on Menus.
Restoring the Default Configuration
Should a site be “totally trashed” as a result of modifications, Crew Manager LLC has the ability to restore the default configuration. This is done without the loss of event data, posts or crew data. It will replace any theme modifications made and overwrite pages with the same name. This will be done once at no charge. There will be a charge for subsequent restorations to the default configuration.
This link provides a single Crew Manager website customization so that the style is uniquely matched to the boat / team. The customization includes desired colors with images for headers, website background and email templates using customer supplied pictures. There is no change to website operation or capability.
Custom colors may be applied to the background, menu & associated text, header and footer. Colors may be chosen using the Google Color Picker – the desired hex values (format #000000) are supplied in the fields on the order form.
- Custom images (supplied by the customer) are used to generate the website header and replace the Crew Manager logo image, if desired, a website background image (replaces solid color background), and email template header image (replaces Crew Manager Logo image)
- Custom images will be either cropped or resized (stretched/shrunk) to fit the area. Optimal sizes for the Header image is 1170px by 200px. The Email template header optimal image size is 733px by 138px. The All in One Event Calendar featured optimal image size is 510px by 285px (other sizes will be scaled). Acceptable file formats are bmp, jpg, png and gif.
- Desired text may be overlaid on images and saved with the image to create custom logos. This can be done as part of the customization and should be annotated in the order comments.
- All formatted custom images are stored on the website’s media library and are accessible to the Skipper when logged in.
- You will be notified when the updates are made so you may review the changes. Once reviewed, you may accept as is, or provide feedback for changes to be made.
Note: Upload image files to be used for customizing before adding to cart. Provide any special instructions in the comment field when placing the order. Color default hex values setup on Crew Manager sites are included in the field labels. You may enter any desired new values. Use the Google Color Picker to determine the hexadecimal values for the colors you would like to change. Any color fields left blank will maintain the existing default color scheme.