The WordPress plugin “Import users from CSV with meta” is installed on all sites to allow a convenient method to import a list of users all at once. This is typically only done when Crew Manager is initially setup for a boat.
Warning: Do not import the Skipper using the email that the website was originally setup for. Doing will reset the Skipper account so the Skipper will not be able to log in. A second account for the Skipper with another email and username may be imported if desired. A second Skipper account is recommended if advanced site customization with admin privileges will be done per the How do I customize my site? post. Unless there is a reason to re-import a Crew member who already exists, it is recommended that the an existing user not be imported again as it will overwrite any previous settings saved.
- Download the attached spreadsheet and save on your hard drive.
- Open in Excel and populate each row in the spreadsheet with Crew information under the column names. The only mandatory fields are Username and email. Other fields are optional and may be edited later in the WordPress user’s profile by either the Skipper or the Crew member. There are comment bubbles in the template. You may delete these comments but do not need to since they are not saved in the CSV text file.
- Save the spreadsheet, first in native Excel format (allows easier updates in the future), then using the Save As menu option in Excel as a CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv) text file. Before saving the file in CSV format, make sure to delete any rows with Crew who have already been imported so you do not overwrite existing data.
- Log in to your Crew Manager site as the Skipper if you have multiple logins.
- Once logged in mouse over Skipper on the menu and click on WordPress Admin.
- The WordPress Admin screen will load. On the left side menu, mouse over Tools and click on Import users from CSV.
The plugin will load and provide a plethora of options. If this is a one time upload, just use the default settings.
- Click on the Choose File button located to the right of the CSV file (required) label. When the dialog box opens, navigate to the directory where the CSV file containing the Crew was saved and select the file.
- Click on the blue button at the bottom of the plugin Admin screen labeled Start Importing.